Tuesday, August 16, 2011

02 Jul - 13 Aug North Shore Swim Series

Up the finish after North Shore Swim Series #3 - 1.6 miles from Chun's Reef to Waimea Bay

Second year of finishing the North Shore Swim Series. I really love these races. Great crowd, gorgeous water and most end in Waimea Bay which could be considered the world's most perfect pool. The races step up in distance from 1 mile to the 2.4 mile North Shore Challenge. Conditions were exactly as expected for the first three - calm, clear water and little current.


The last race was a bit unseasonable. The race started at Pipeline, arguably the most famous surf break in the world, and the problem was people were actually surfing it and it wasn't tiny. North Shore is supposed to be a lake this time of year. The course directors were actually pretty emphatic about staying outside the course buoys to stay out of the surf (normally race instructions are "go anywhere there is water") and we had an additional buoy to keep us off a break entering Waimea. Lots of adverse current along the way and Waimea was murky. It took me 1.5 hours, a full twenty minutes longer than last year. Oh well.

Overall I finished just like last year - steadily ahead of the 10-11 year old girls and way behind the 12-13 year olds. I don't get it. Definitely got smoked by folks who easily earn senior citizen discounts. Doesn't matter though right? At least I did it. And beat everyone I knew.



No comments:

Post a Comment