Thursday, August 2, 2012

19 Jul - 02 Aug: Rim of the Pacific Exercise

I was sent to Hawaii to liaison between  an amphibious task group taking part in the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise and participating P-3s.  RIMPAC is the largest naval exercise in the world and is hosted in Oahu every two years with many nations around the Pacific participating.  Time is split between in-port sporting and social events and underway exercises. 

I wasn't really ready to return to Hawaii, but nonetheless spent most of the time underway on the USS Essex working on the staff of a Canadian Admiral.  All the different nationalities and the amphibious operations made it at least a novelty.  I treated it like a Midshipmen and tried to have as much fun as possible.  Couple different helicopter rides - on a Mexican Mi-17 and a USMC H-53E and a trip on a LCAC to the beach and back.  Also nice to have cell phone coverage almost the entire time although it meant I was looking at beaches from the ship instead of being on the beach looking at some poor suckers out on a ship. 

My RIMPAC in one minute:



After finishing my duties I drove to Shark's Cove on the North Shore and swam for two hours.  Rinsed off in the public outdoor shower, drove straight to the airport and flew home.  Not a bad way to spend my birthday.  

My favorite one minute of RIMPAC:



No comments:

Post a Comment