Sunday, September 19, 2010

26 Jun - 07 Aug: North Shore Swim Series

Suffering from some plantar fasciitis in my right foot and from a few too many cheeseburgers I decided to take up distance swimming.

The summer North Shore Swim Series, hosted by the Waikiki Swim Club, provided good motivation and looked like fun.

The first race was the 1.0 mile Raging Isle Sprint from Sunset to Pipeline. It may have been a sprint to some, but I was just hoping to complete it in a less than embarrassing fashion. Despite being shortest, it was probably the most difficult owing to some "uphill" current and a couple hundred yard swim they threw on to get us outside the swell to the start line.

The second race was the 1.2 mile Cholo's Waimea Bay Swim. I was fortunate to be joined by my brother during the 1.7 mile Jaco's Chun's to Waimea Bay. The 2.3 mile North Shore Challenge from Pipeline to Waimea Bay capped the season.

The Bruddahs at Waimea following the swim up from Chun's Reef

Overall, I met my stated aim of beating everyone I carpooled with and even some of those in the 12-14 year old female bracket (they are freakishly fast). The water was perfect and scenery unbeatable. Kim and the boys met me at Waimea after a couple of the races and family days at Waimea Bay are a true treat.

Some great pictures here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment